Friday, November 12, 2010

A break....

Every day in our journey there are countless numbers of lives that we come in contact with. Most, really for the most part almost all, of which we pass by without so much as a smile or a recognition that the other person even existed. As I make my journey from one destination to the next I am growing more and more surprised at how people seem to be regressing further and further away from a social society. And this seems counterintuitive considering the advances we have today in technology (like what I am using now). But, what I have noticed is it seems easier for people to carry on conversations through twitter, instant messaging, email, text messaging, etc than it is for them talk on the phone or God forbid they sit down face to face. One such young man I talked to the other day said he actually talks to his girlfriend more through text messaging than in person and they see each other DAILY! It just seems to me that the more “technologically advanced” the world becomes, the less every day face to face “people skills” people seem to possess. Now I am not calling for a banning of technology because I myself love it, but I do believe that we should all examine how we use it. Is it turning us into people who would rather sit in front of a computer than across the table talking to a friend? Are guys becoming unable to physically ask a girl out and instead rely on a message through Facebook or a text? And likewise are girls unable to carry on a conversation without using the same methods? Technology will be around long after we are all gone and will never miss us when we are, but we only have a few moments to share with the people that we care about, or even those who could potentially play a huge role in our lives. Spend time with your friends face to face and live your life. God knows, you only have this chance once…Make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment